Friday, December 3, 2010

Powdered or Glazed..... that is the question!

So since I can't seem to remember to update my blog these days I have decided to update on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for sure!  I am going to continue to update with trials, triumphs, tips and recipes!!! Lord willing, and my memory willing. Maybe I should start taking Ginkgo in my old age. Or maybe just write myself a note. Anyways..... here is a new recipe!!

Gluten-Free Donut Holes

1 1/2c brown rice flour (I just grind up brown rice in my dry vitamix blender)
2c gluten free flour mix (or 1c sweet white sorghum flour and 1c tapioca flour)
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. redmonds real salt
2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4c butter/coconut oil
1c organic sugar
2 whole eggs ( for allergy-free use 2T flax mixed with 6T warm water)
1/4c apple cider (if you don't have it you can use apple juice)
1/2c buttermilk (I used coconut milk)
oil for frying (I used organic olive oil but I would suggest using grape seed oil, as long as its light colored)

2c organic sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2c organic powdered sugar (or just put organic sugar in the vitamix 1c at a time and blend)


Mix flax and water if doing an allergy free version and let sit for 3 minutes. Cream butter/coconut oil and sugar in kitchen aid. Add eggs (or flax) 1 at a time. Mix in cider and buttermilk. Mix well. Add flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well but don't over mix. Scoop out balls approx. 1 1/2 Tablespoon size and place on wax paper. Then freeze for at least 20 mins (I am usually about skipping steps where I can but DON'T skip this step). Heat your oil to 375 degrees. Now here's where this got tricky. My thermometer must be a lame one because it only goes to 200 degrees and because of this I burned the first few donuts. If your thermometer doesn't go very high you might have a donut burning-turn down the temp-lesson like I did. Enjoy the lesson, learning is a beautiful thing. I then ruined the next few donuts by cutting them open to see if they were done. Once I got my high-heated oil under control and stopped burning these poor things I figure I probably cooked them for approx. 4-5 minutes but you will want to cut open the first couple to make sure. Make sure you flip them so they can cook evenly. Then remove from oil and place on cooling rack. Cool for 1 minute and then powder or glaze. This is where the donuts get dramatic. To powder or to glaze?? EEEKK such decisions! We ended up doing both and therefore the drama was removed from my kitchen.

To powder- all you do is mix the 2c organic sugar with the 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. After donut holes have cooled for 1 minute, roll them in this sugar yumminess.

To glaze- You can just mix powdered sugar, vanilla and water if you want the easy way out. If you don't here's what I did:
1/2c honey
1/2c maple syrup
1/2c buttermilk (I used coconut milk with 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar to "chunk" it up like buttermilk)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 -2 tsp. arrowroot

put all in a deep saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat. You don't need to stir it. Continue to boil until the icing is a light caramel color and should be thickening up. Approx. 5-7 mins. You don't want it too thick. Dip the donuts in the glaze and die from yumminess.  Feel free to lick your fingers, and sneak a donut hole...... or two. Enjoy!!

The family verdict was MANY thumbs up and everyone one of us preferred the glazed donuts... yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment