Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Gluten, Dairy Free Waffles...... with homemade syrup!

We have been making waffles once a week, they are so easy. I love things that are easy! Waffles really are a cheap meal but the maple syrup kills me!! I was thinking the other week there has to be a way to replace the maple syrup without using "junk" syrup and without spending half the amount of groceries I spend in a week on syrup. Ok, well it's not that expensive but you get the idea right? Last week I made a blackberry syrup and this week I made a strawberry one! My kids LOVED them! Voila! Money saved! Although I must add I am a fan of maple syrup so I did give the hubby and myself some. Selfish I know. But my kids don't care. I know this because I felt a tinge of guilt and I asked them. Their reply was "Oh Mama, this syrup is still a treat!" I am so glad my kids still think fruit is a treat. I hope it lasts forever.

Gluten, Dairy Free Waffles  (adapted from the passionate homemaker)

2c coconut milk
1c 100% pure apple juice
1c brown rice flour
1c oat flour (you can use GF oats if you need to)
1c buckwheat flour
4T coconut oil
4 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs ( or 4T flax mixed with 12T warm water)
4 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
2 tsp. Redmond's real salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. guar gum (optional)
1 tsp. baking soda



Mix wet ingredients, then fold in the dry ingredients. Mix well, give it a minute to thicken up, then cook in your waffle maker. Enjoy!

*soaking instructions*  The afternoon before I put the 3 flours (oat, brown rice and buckwheat) into a bowl, then I mixed in the coconut milk and 2T lemon juice (if you don't have milk allergies you can use kefir or buttermilk) to break down the phytic acid in the grains. Then you cover the bowl, leave it on the counter until you are ready for dinner the next day, add the rest of the ingredients and enjoy some nutritious waffles!

Blackberry Syrup

12 oz. package of washed blackberries
approx. 1/2c water
sweetener such as honey or stevia
arrowroot for thickening

Put the blackberries in a small pot, pour the water over them and turn the stove on med-high. Bring to a slow boil, occasionally mashing with a fork. I put in 2 tsp. of honey and 1 pinch of stevia.  Stir in arrowroot, I started with 1 teaspoon and gradually worked my way to 2. You may want more or less but that is the beauty of it, you get to decide! I then put it in my vita mix and gave it a whirl. If you don't care about your syrup being warm you could just put it all in the vita mix, skipping the boiling step, which is what i did with the strawberries the next time. The possibilities are endless!!

3 comments:

  1. I love the syrup idea! Do you thicken it with anything? We spend a fortune on the real stuff. I'm going to try these waffles, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed the recipe... sorry Marlene. I did use arrowroot in the blackberry syrup but nothing in the strawberry one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just dump a bunch of frozen blueberries in the pan and sprinkle with sweetener and sqwish them. The juice soaks in the pancake/waffle and is really yummy. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete