Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's not all about me.




Ever have one of those eye opening experiences where you realize everything isn't about you and isn't always going to go your way? This happened to me this weekend. I have had such a bee in my bonnet this weekend, putting summer clothes away, organizing all the closets with the winter clothes, making a new schooling schedule (which has now taken me 4 hours and I am still not done), finishing 7 loads of laundry, organizing all the toys and such in every room of the house and cleaning all of the messes I have made trying to "clean" up! I am the type of person that when I want to do something or an idea pops in my head I want to do it now and without interruption. The Lord has been so patient with me. Showing me that even though all of the organizing and cleaning seems like high priority on my "job" list it's not all about me. It might not be what He had for me that day, or in the way I wanted it. I was on a roll organizing our busy boxes, preparing to start school up again, and I was so frustrated when I heard my sweet baby Jaxon wake up to nurse. I wanted to finish my job and he was just interrupting me! How dare a helpless baby get hungry, right? Well I huffed and puffed my way upstairs and picked him up, when I sat down to nurse him he looked up at me and gave me the sweetest, biggest smile, ya know the ones where you can see their whole gums? As if he were saying "thank you Mama for coming to nurse me". The guilt set in quickly. I sat there looking at my precious gift from God and wondered how could I have ever been upset about having to feed him? Upset that "my" wants weren't going to be met before his. The Lord showed me right there that now matter how many times I organize our busy boxes or do my chores there's always going to be more to do. I am sure I will rearrange the busy boxes 20 times, there will always be laundry, my floor wont always be clean, my school schedule is going to change constantly, but my sweet baby won't always nurse. He won't always want to snuggle me. He won't always coo at me with the sweetest face and he won't always need me like he does now. A good friend of mine told me "The days are long but the years are short". Its so true. It is my prayer that I be the type of Mama who stops to smells the roses, that always chooses to do the Lord's will for my life first and that sees the blessings Jesus gives me everyday.

4 comments:

  1. You are so right, Caitlin. I struggle with the same thing - trying to get it all done, and being patient with the 'interruptions' which are really the reason we are doing it all in the first place! God is working on me too, and it's so good to know I'm not alone. You are an amazing mom, and your kids are so blessed. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy.. you are awesome. I just love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. I needed to hear it. As my little one is almost 2 and my oldest turned 16 this year, it is a reminder that I should enjoy everyday with them, good or bad, no matter what. One day, all three will have families of their own and be gone and it will just be Andrew and I. Wish I could cuddle with that new baby...:)

    <3
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing!!! This is why I love you so much! You never cease to amaze me! The things you say, how you raise your children, the bond you have with James....the list goes on and on! I am so grateful everyday that we are best friends!! I love you tons!!! Thanks for being an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete