Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Healthy snack # 4 Soaked 4 Grain Flatbread.

We have just discovered these (a recipe I adapted from the Gnowfglins website). They are a cross between a pancake and a cracker. They are stinkin good and my kids agree! We have had them 3 days in a row! Lunch, dinner, snacks... whatever your heart desires.

Soaked 4 Grain Flatbread

1c brown rice flour
1c buckwheat flour
1c corn flour (non-GMO)
1c quinoa flakes
2 1/2- 3 1/2 c of filtered water
2-3T raw apple cider vinegar
2-3 tsp. baking powder (non-GMO)
1 tsp. Redmond's Real Salt or  sea salt
coconut oil or olive oil for pan

If using the soaking method: combine 1st 6 ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Cover and let sit at room temp overnight (at least 7 hours).

If not soaking them just mix the 1st 6 ingredients up and follow these instructions:
The batter may be thick, add water to make a pancake type batter. Preheat your cast iron (or skillet) pan to medium heat and put some oil in it (approx 1T spread around). Add about 1/4c flatbread mixture and spread it out thin ( I used a ladle to pour it out and the bottom to spread is thin). Cook until LOTS of bubbles appear in the center and the bottom is golden brown. You will see the edges turn brownish. Don't flip too early or your flatbread will be squishy. :) When the sides are brown flip it like a pancake! Let the other side cook approx. 1 minute. Transfer to a cooling rack. Now here's a little tip: DON'T store it in a container, they will get mushy a.k.a. GROSS. What I figured out is that if I double this recipe and only cook the amount I will need, I have the batter on hand to cook up quickly. I taught my older girls how to pour the batter out and spread it thin, that way I can do other things that need to be done but we still have a hot YUMMY lunch or snack. Plus they feel VERY important to have provided lunch for all of us.

Variations

-add cinnamon to the batter and top with maple syrup when cooked. Yum.
-top with sunflower butter or a nut butter and honey or jelly. Delish.
-roll up sprouts, spinach, avocado, turkey and honey mustard in it. My mouth is watering.
-top with raw honey or coconut butter. Ok now I am hungry.
-put some nut butter and fruit in a fun design on top. Like bananas. MMMM.
-roll it up with tuna and sprouts. Nummy.
-spread hummus on top with spinach and feta cheese. Outstanding.
-spread pesto and melt feta or your cheese of choice on top. This is me sucking up my drool....sllluurrp.

The possibilities are endless!! What would you do with your flatbread?

No comments:

Post a Comment